123rd New York Volunteer Infantry

1862 - 1865



History



The following account originally appeared in the book "History of Washington County, New York" as Chapter XVIII, "The One Hundred and Twenty-Third Infantry." The book was reprinted in 1979 by Heart of the Lakes Publishing, Interlaken, New York 14847.

THE ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-THIRD INFANTRY
by Rev. Seth C. Carey,
formerly adjutant to the 123rd Regt. N.Y.S.V.

Deep Feeling on hearing of the Disasters before Richmond - War-Meeting at Argyle - Resolution to raise a Washington-County Regiment - Its Enlistment and Officers - Mustered in as the 123d Infantry - Goes to the Front - Services in the Autumn of 1862 - "The Mud March" - Winter-Quarters - The Campaign of Chancellorsville - A Skirmish near Fredericksburg - Death of Lieut.-Col. Norton - The Battle of Chancellorsville - The 123d repulses the Enemy - The Supports fall back - The Regiment retreats - Heavy Losses - March to Gettysburg - Services there - Pursuit of the Enemy - Ordered to the West - Services in Tennessee - The Grand Campaign of 1864 - Resaca, Cassville, Pumpkin-Vine Creek - Col. McDougall mortally wounded - Flanking the Enemy - Pine Hill - Kulp's Farm - Capture of Kennesaw - Peach-Tree Creek - Entering Atlanta - "The March to the Sea" - Slight Opposition - Capture of Savannah - The Campaign of the Carolinas - Passing Columbia - Entering North Carolina - Bentonville - Goldsboro - Moccasin Swamp - Raleigh - Off for Home - The Grand Review - Sherman's Eulogy - Mustered out - List of Officers.

When it became known that McClellan's campaign before Richmond, in June and July, 1862, had resulted in complete disaster, President Lincoln issued a call for "three hundred thousand more." The whole country was greatly moved, and all felt that a mighty effort must be put forth to save the Union. This county was more deeply impressed than ever before. Something must be done! On the 22d of July, a great war-meeting was held at Argyle, and this was followed by others in different parts of the county. War committees were appointed; one for the county at large and one for each town.

They began work at once, and it was decided that Washington county should raise a regiment of her own. Recruiting commenced immediately. A camp was established at Salem and called Camp Washington. Before the middle of August the companies began to assemble, and by the 22d the regiment was practically full. The companies were mustered in as soon as full, and were made up from the different towns as follows:

Co. A, Greenwich; Co. B, Kingsbury; Co. C, Whitehall; Co. D, Fort Ann, Dresden, and Putnam; Co. E, Hartford and Hebron; Co. F, Argyle; Co. G, Whitecreek and Jackson; Co. H, Salem; Co. I, Cambridge and Easton; Co. K, Granville and Hampton.

The following is the roster of the original officers of the regiment:

    Field and Staff. - Colonel, A.L. McDougall; lieutenant-colonel, Franklin Norton; major, James C. Rogers; adjutant, George H. Wallace; surgeon, John Moneypenny; assistant surgeons, Lysander W. kennedy and Richard s. Connelly; quartermaster, John King; chaplain, Henry Gordon.

    Non-commissioned Staff. - Sergeant-major, Walter F. Martin; quartermaster-sergeant, Charles D. Warner; commissary-sergeant, Clark Rice; hospital steward, Seward Corning.

    Company A. - Captain, Abram Reynolds; first lieutenant, A.T. Mason; second lieutenant, James C. Shaw.

    Company B. - Captain, George W. Warren; first lieutenant, J.C. Warren; second lieutenant, Samuel Burton.

    Company C. - Captain, Adolphus H. Tanner; first lieutenant, Walter G. Warner; second lieutenant, John C. Corbett.

    Company D. - Captain, John Barron; first lieutenant, Alexander Anderson; second lieutenant, E.P. Quinn.

    Company E. - Captain, Norman F. Weer; first lieutenant, George R. Hall; second lieutenant, Seth C. Carey.

    Company F. - Captain, Duncan Robertson; first lieutenant, Donald Reid; second lieutenant, George Robinson.

    Company G. - Captain, Henry Gray; first lieutenant, James Hill; second lieutenant, Charles Archer.

    Company H. - Captain, John S. Crary; first lieutenant, Benjamin Elliott; second lieutenant, Josiah W. Culver.

    Company I. - Captain, Orrin S. Hall; first lieutenant, Marcus Beadle; second lieutenant, Albert Shiland.

    Company K. - Captain, Henry O. Wiley; first lieutenant, Hiram O. Warren; second lieutenant, George W. Baker.

On the 4th of September, 1862, the regiment was mustered into the United States service as the 123d New York Volunteer Infantry, and the next day was on the way to the front. It reached Washington on the 9th, where the men received their arms and equipment. The regiment was attached to Paul's Brigade, of Casey's Division. It moved to Arlington Heights and thence to Frederick, Md., and on the 3d of October pitched camp in Pleasant Valley, two miles from Harper's Ferry. Here it was assigned to the 22d Brigade (Brig.-Gen. Thomas L. Kane), 1st Division (Brig.-Gen. A.S. Williams), 12th Corps (Maj.-Gen. H.W. Slocum).

The regiment soon after crossed the Potomac and Shenandoah, and, after guarding the ford on the latter river, encamped on the 8th of November in Loudon valley. Here the men built winter-quarters, but the day after they were finished the command was ordered to Fairfax Station, a few miles from Alexandria. On the 19th of January, 1863, the regiment started on what was called the "mud march" towards Richmond. The mud was fathomless, requiring a six-mule team to draw an unloaded wagon out of a mud-hole. On reaching Stafford Court-House camp was made for the winter.

In the early dawn of Monday, April 27, 1863, with eight days' rations in haversacks and knapsacks, and sixty rounds of ammunition, the Army of the Potomac started on the campaign of Chancellorsville. Crossing the Rappanhannock at Kelly's Ford, and the Rapidan at Germania Mills, the 123d struck the plank-road running to Fredericksburg, and near the "Wilderness Tavern" was fired upon by a division of rebel cavalry, being its first experience in actual combat. That night the men bivouacked near the Chancellorsville House.

On Friday, May 1, the regiment made a feint toward Fredericksburg, to allow the Union forces to secure Banks' Ford. Returning to its former position, Co. I was sent out on picket. Before our arms were fairly "stacked" sharp skirmishing was heard in the direction taken by Co. I. The line advanced rapidly, and found that our skirmishers had run upon a division of rebel infantry concealed in the woods. Co. A was sent to strengthen the skirmish line, while the rest of the regiment took position on the edge of a bluff. The enemy opened upon us heavily, and as it was not desired that we should bring on a general engagement we were ordered back; not, however, till Lieut.-Col. Norton had received a fatal wound in the side. That night we slept on our arms.

Most of the next day was spent in building breastworks, but at three P.M. we were moved to the front (south) as a support to the 3d Corps. We were skimishing with the enemy when we were ordered back, and reached our works in time to meet the broken "debris" of the 11th Corps. The enemy had struck their extreme right flank and driven them back in great disorder. The pursuers were checked by a force of artillery, handled with great skill by Gen. Pleasonton, a few cavalry, and a part of the 12th Corps. This artillery duel was grandly terrific as darkness came on, and night alone put an end to the scene.

All that night was spent in reforming the lines and building rude entrenchments. The 12th Corps was facing the west, with its right resting on the plank-road, while the 3d Corps extended still farther to the right, and also supported the right of the 12th Corps. The 123d was in the front line, and in the edge of a wood, while behind us was an open field running back to the Chancellorsville House. Between our regiment and the plank-road was the 3d Maryland Infantry. Behind us were several lines of troops, and on the knoll in the rear the artillery was massed.

With the early dawn of the Sabbath skirmishing began. The infantry were soon engaged, and the artillery opened all along the line. Soon the enemy's infantry charged down upon us, making the welkin ring with the "rebel yell." Again, and again, and again the heavy masses charged, but only to be again and again hurled back, as they meet the unflinching determination and withering fire of our intrenched soldiers. But the hours go by, and it is past eight o'clock. The lines begin to fade out in our rear, and there is nothing between our right and the plank-road. Soon there is nothing on our left, and soon, too, nothing can be seen behind us but the artillery. The enemy sweep down again and try to turn our right flank. The right wing of the regiment swings back, and a volley or two sends them staggering to the rear. But a battery is soon planted that enfilades our line, and the ammunition is nearly exhausted. There is no general to give orders, and we must be a law unto ourselves. Reluctantly the colonel gave the order to fall back, and the regiment obeyed.

In this fight Second Lieut. John C. Corbett, of Co. C, was killed; First Lieut. Marcus Beadle and Second Lieut. Albert Shiland, of Co. I, were badly wounded; and roll-call revealed nearly one hundred and fifty men killed, wounded, and missing in this our first baptism of blood.

In the afternoon we took position on the extreme left of the line near Banks' Ford. At three A.M., May 6, we passed out of our works, crossed the Rappahannock at United States Ford, and reached our old camp at sunset. The 123d was now attached to the 1st Brigade, Brigadier-General J.F. Knipe commanding.

On the 13th of June, 1863, the campaign of Gettysburg began. We passed through Fairfax and Leesburg, crossed the Potomac at Edwards' Ferry, and reached Frederick City, Md., on the 29th. Thence we passed through Taneytown and Littlestown, Pa., and in the afternoon of July 1 formed line of battle near Wolf Hill, on the right of the Baltimore Pike, and within sight of Gettysburg. In the morning we took position nearer the cemetery, the right of the corps resting on Rock creek, and built strong works. Late in the afternoon we were ordered to the rear of Round Top, the extreme left of the line, to support our forces there, but were soon directed to return. We did not, however, reach our former position, but lay on our arms all night.

In the morning of the 3d, part of our brigade, including the 123d, was sent to take the works which we had built the day before, and which, after we left them, had been occupied by the enemy. At noon our regiment charged the works, which were taken with but little resistance. We had a sharp fight in the afternoon, and at four P.M. were ordered to support our line just at the left of the cemetery. We reached that point in time to see the broken masses of the retreating enemy sullenly withdrawing from the field. In the twilight, as we were retiring to the right of ur old position, we were fired upon by sharp-shooters concealed in McAllister's mill, beyond Rock creek. Capt. Norman F. Weer, of Co. E, received a wound in the knee, from which he died. After dark, we moved to the rear of our old position, and lay on our arms all night.

Saturday morning, July 4, with a few regiments and a battery from our division, Maj.-Gen. Slocum made a reconnaissance around our right, passing through Gettysburg and by the cemetery to our former position.

On Sunday, at three P.M., we left our bivouac and moved out through Littlestown, passing thence through Frederick City, over the Catoctin mountains, and across the valley, rich in ripening wheat, over South Mountain, and through Bakersville, and on the 12th threw up some works just beyond Playfair. On the 14th we started again in pursuit of the enemy, but after passing near Williamsport, and marching almost to Falling Waters, we found that Lee had crossed the Potomac and again eluded us. The next day we ate our noonday lunch on the battlefield of Antietam, and the next we halted to draw supplies in Pleasant valley.

On the 19th we again set forth, crossing the Potomac at Harper's Ferry, marching up through Loudon valley, passing Snicker's Gap, Upperville, Ashby's Gap, and Piedmont, and bivouacking, at eleven P.M. of the 23d, in Manassas Gap. At four A.M. the next morning, without breakfast (and having had neither dinner nor supper the day before), we were pushed on into the Gap nearly to Linden. Resting an hour or two, we were hurried back down the Gap, and at midnight bevouacked near White Plains. Thence we marched through Thoroughfare Gap, Haymarket, Greenwich, Catlett's Station, and Warrenton Junction, reaching Kelly's Ford on the 31st of July. We remained near the ford till Sept. 16, when we marched to Raccoon Ford on the Rapidan.

On the 24th of September, the 123d was ordered to the west to help Gen. Rosecrans. We took cars at Brandy Station, passing through Washington, Wheeling, Indianapolis, Louisville, and Nashville to Bridgeport, Ala. Thence we returned to Wartrace, chasing mounted guerrillas to Shelbyville in the night, and then marched through Tullahoma, Decherd, and Stevenson to Bridgeport again. Our regiment was in charge of that town, which was the base of supplies for the army at Chattanooga, and what with camp-guard, picket-duty, railroad-patrol, unloading cars, building steamboats, and running a saw-mill, our hands were quite full.

The regiment remained there until Jan. 6, 1864, when it was transferred to Elk river, midway between Nashville and Chattanooga. Co. E was stationed at Estill Springs water-tank, to guard the tank and patrol the railroad, and Co. F was in a stockade, guarding the trestle-bridge over the Elk river. Near the last of the month, Cos. A, E, G, H, and K, under command of Col. McDougall were sent into Lincoln Co., Tenn., on a foraging expedition, and to break up some bands of guerrillas, being absent about three weeks. In March, Co. E had a sharp encounter with Champ Ferguson's guerrillas, and repulsed them handsomely.

About this time the 11th and 12th Corps were united and called the 20th Corps, under the command of Maj.-Gen. Joseph Hooker. The 123d, was now in the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 20th Corps, Army of the Cumberland, Maj.-Gen. Geo. H. Thomas commanding. Our corps-badge was the five-pointed star, red for the 1st Division.

On the 27th of April, 1864, we started on the summer campaign. Crossing the Cumberland mountains at University Place, where was to have been the great university of the Confederate States, we passed through Bridgeport, and around the point of Lookout Mountain, and on the 3d of May encamped near Chattanooga. Thence the 20th Corps marched over the battle-field of Chickamauga, past Gordon's Mills and Cane Springs, and through Nickajack Gap to Trickem. Then by an all-night march we hastened to Snake Creek Gap, and out to the front of Resaca, Georgia.

On the 15th of May we were heavily engaged with the enemy near that place, but the next morning found their works deserted. We pushed on through Resaca, but before reaching the town saw a train of cars bringing up supplies for our army, showing the wonderful promptitude of our quartermaster and commissary departments. Moving on across the Coosawattee river, we marched through Calhoun, and at ten P.M. of the 18th bivouacked near Cassville. Next morning we pushed on towards the town, and later in the day the 123d took part in a sharp fight in the outskirts of the village. The enemy abandoned their works that night. On the 23d we crossed the Etowah river, passing thence through Euharlee and Burnt Hickory, and reaching Pumpkin-Vine creek at noon of the 25th of May.

Near that place Gen. Geary, with the 2d Division, 20th Corps, ran upon the enemy, with whom he had a sharp encounter. When our division (the 1st) came up it was thrown to the front, and was soon pressing the enemy. We pushed them about two miles, during which time Col. McDougall received a bullet-wound in the leg, from which he died at Chattanooga, on the 23d of the succeeding month.

Toward night, as we were in the front line, having driven the enemy into their works, they opened upon us with grape at short range, and kept up their fire long after dark. Having no artillery the men lay close to the ground, and this management, together with their nearness to the rebel works, saved them from destruction. In the darkness and rain we reformed our line, threw out videttes, and gathering the branches of trees cut down by the enemy's artillery, make a rude breastwork.

Late in the evening some troops came to relieve us. Contrary to special warning to be very quiet, the officer in command, in a loud, pompous tone, gave the order, "right dress." Instantly the enemy's guns belched forth and swept away the relieving force, who came near carrying us with them. But our men quickly and quietly obeyed orders, and the line was held. At three A.M. next morning we were relieved and passed to the rear. This was the battle of Pumpkin-Vine Creek, or New Hope Church, in which the loss of the 123d was twenty killed and wounded.

From this time till the 5th of July, when we got our first view of Atlanta, we were under fire more or less severe every day.

After the battle of New Hope Church, Gen. Sherman's army was facing the east, with the left resting on the Etowah river, and the right at Dallas. Gradually moving to the right, our lines overlapped those of the enemy, and compelled them either to weaken their ranks or expose their base of supplies and line of retreat. Soon the enemy, thus outflanked, evacuated the Allatoona mountains, and Gen. Sherman threw a force across the railroad at Big Shanty. Then the lines were reformed, facing the south, with Lost Mountain on our right and Pine Hill in front of our left center.

On we went, steadily pushing the enemy before us, and having a sharp fight near Pine Hill, where the rebel Gen. Polk was killed. Still on we pressed, position after position of elaborately-constructed earthworks, furnished with ditches and abatis, being first stubbornly defended, then outflanked, then abandoned, till at length we stood before the rugged heights of Kennesaw.

Here we had a sharp skirmish on the 19th of June, and then moved about four miles to the southwest, where on the 22d the whole regiment was deployed as skirmishers. We were thrown to the front a mile and a half, the right being at Kulp's [Kolb's] house, with both flanks "in the air," till joined on the right by the 23d Corps. We were then ordered to extend our line to the left, which again left both flanks exposed. Late in the afternoon the enemy, having drawn in their skirmishers, who had annoyed us most of the afternoon, advanced upon us in line of battle. Twice they were repulsed, but the third time their heavy masses swept our light skirmish line to the rear on the double-quick. We passed swiftly through our own main line, which in the mean time had been fortified, when the enemy rushed forward and flung themselves against it, but were hurled back with fearful slaughter. This is called the battle of Kulp's [Kolb's] Farm, in which the loss of the 123d was four killed, twenty-seven wounded, and seventeen missing.

Gen. Sherman determined to again abandon his base of supplies and, with twenty days' rations in the wagons, strike for the Chattahoochie and Atlanta. Everything was in readiness at three A.M., on the 3d of July, but before starting the pickets reported that the enemy's intrenchments were abandoned. At six A.M. we were pushing on through their works, which we found to be very strong, consisting of a well-intrenched skirmish line, two light lines behind it, and still back of these a most elaborate main line, the parapet being ten feet wide on the top, with ditch and abatis in front. On the 5th of July we reached a range of hills on the north bank of the Chattahoochie, from which we had our first view of Atlanta, the Gate City of the south.

In the afternoon of July 17 we left camp, crossed the Chattahoochie near Vinning's Station, and at noon of the 20th lay just beyond Peach-Tree creek. Between four and five o'clock we were startled by rapid firing in front; our pickets came hurrying in, saying that the enemy were close upon them. Our line was almost instantly formed, but none too soon, for we were hotly engaged before it was completed. Five or six times the enemy charged our lines with desperate valor, but every time they were disastrously repulsed. It was a hand-to-hand fight, without works or defenses of any kind. The loss of the 123d was about fifty killed and wounded, including Capt. Henry O. Wiley, of Co. K, killed, First Lieut. John H. Daley, of Co. E, mortally wounded, and Adjt. Seth C. Carey, severely wounded. The loss in our corps (the 20th) was nineteen hundred.

The next day, after burying the dead, we left the battlefield of Peach-Tree Creek, skirmished with the enemy for several hours, and at night took a position about two miles from Atlanta. Skirmishing and artillery firing were now kept up daily. On the 30th of July Capt. Geo. R. Hall, of Co. E, advanced our line at daylight, captured the enemy's pickets, and established a new line close up to the rebel works. Thus we remained until the 25th of August, when the regiment moved back to the Chattahoochie and fortified the railroad-bridge. On the 2d of September the 123d, together with a regiment from each of the other brigades in the division, made a reconnaissance toward Atlanta, and at two P.M. entered the town and occupied the works on the east side, thus ending the justly-famous campaign of Atlanta, a campaign characterized by Gen. Grant, in a letter to Gen. Sherman, as "the most gigantic undertaking given to any general in this war." President Lincoln, in a letter of thanks to Gen. Sherman, said, "The marches, battles, sieges, and other military operations that have signalized the campaign, must render it famous in the annals of war, and have entitled those who have participated therein to the applause and thanks of the nation."

The usual duties of camp-life followed, to which was added the fortification of the city, foraging expeditions, etc.

On the 12th of October the last train of cars went north from Atlanta, and on the 15th began the ever-memorable "March to the Sea," in which Gen. Sherman proposed to break through the "shell of the rebellion" and demonstrate its emptiness. We moved past Stone Mountain, Social Circle, and Madison, and on the 2d of November reached Milledgeville and crossed the Oconee river. At Buffalo creek we had a sharp skirmish with the enemy, who had burned the bridges, compelling us to build nine new ones, so wide and marshy was the creek.

We continued on our course week after week, almost entirely unopposed, passing through Sandersville, Davisborough, and numerous other unimportant localities, and on the 30th of November crossed the Ogechee and bivouacked at Linnville. We then marched down between the Savannah and the Ogechee rivers, through dismal swamps and over wretched roads, obliged to build miles of corduroy before our trains could pass, and at length, on the 8th of December, we bivouacked within sixteen miles of Savannah. We met the enemy the next morning posted in the edge of a swamp, having built two forts for their protection and blockaded the roads with fallen trees. Our men, however, soon drove the feeble rebel forces out of their works, capturing considerable ammunition.

On the 10th we advanced to within four miles of Savannah, and formed our line with the left of the brigade on the Savannah river. Here we were shelled by the enemy daily, in addition to the usual skirmishing. The food consisted of rice and poor beef until the 17th of December, when we drew rations obtained from the fleet, and received the first mail since the 13th of November. On the 21st of December we entered the enemy's works, which had been evacuated the night before, and camped within a mile of the city, thus ending the far-famed "March to the Sea."

We remained here, performing the usual duties of camp life, till Jan. 17, 1865, when we crossed the Savannah river into South Carolina, and camped that night about ten miles out. After considerable waiting for supplies in that vicinity, on the 4th of February we moved out, through rain and mud, and over most wretched roads, to the Coosahatchie, where we were compelled to build a bridge, and on the 8th camped at Beaufort's Bridge. On the 9th we marched rapidly to Blackville, and then on the next day to the South Edisto, where we made a bridge, crossed, had a skirmish, and camped a mile beyond the river. We then crossed the North Edisto, passed Lexington Court-House, and on the 16th camped within four miles of Columbia, the capital of South Carolina.

Crossing the Saluda and Broad rivers above the city, we passed through the ruins of Winnsborough, a large town which had been burned by the enemy, afterwards crossed the Wateree river, marched past Hanging Rock, and on the 2d of March met the enemy near Chesterfield Court-House, driving them through the town and over Thompson's creek. Then our column pushed forward to the Great Pede river, and on to Cheraw. On the 8th of March we crossed into North Carolina, and hastened forward through Rockingham to Fayetteville, where we were reviewed by Gen. Sherman.

Crossing the Cape Fear river, we moved steadily forward, and on the 15th of March occurred the battle of Averysboro. This was fought in low, swampy ground, the soldiers often standing two feet deep in the water. At nine A.M. the 123d was put in position on the right of the 3d Division, with Co. E as skirmishers, and were soon briskly engaged. The enemy attempted to turn the Union right, but were repulsed by our regiment. After fighting all day, and driving the rebels into their works, Co. E was relieved by Co. F, and the regiment bivouacked for the night in line of battle. The next morning we found that the enemy had retreated, but we could not pursue them, as the roads were so bad that they had to be corduroyed the most of the way.

We forded Black river through water four feet deep, and continued on our course. On the 19th the battle of Bentonville was fought. The 123d was held in reserve during the day, but in the evening was thrown to the front and lay in line of battle all night. Crossing the Neuse river, we reached Goldsboro on the 24th of March, and passed in review before Gen. Sherman. The army remained at Goldsboro until the 10th of April, learning meanwhile the glad tidings of the fall of Richmond.

At daylight on the 10th of April we again began the march, our regiment leading the corps. When four miles out from Goldsboro the enemy appeared in front, and the 123d was thrown forward as skirmishers. At eleven A.M. we reached Moccasin swamp, a mile wide, with two deep streams running through it. The rebels had taken the planks from the bridges, and were strongly posted on the opposite bank. But the men sprang forward under a heavy fire, some wading through water from two to four feet deep, while others crossed on the stringers of the bridges, and the foe was soon driven in disorder from his works. The next night we camped at Smithfield, and on the 12th news came of the surrender of Lee. We pushed on, however, and the next day camped near Raleigh. Here we remained till the surrender of Johnston, when we took up our line of march for Washington and home, passing through Richmond on the way.

On the 24th of May, Sherman's army was reviewed at Washington by President Johnson and Gen. Grant. Gen. Sherman thus speaks of their appearances:

"It was, in my judgement, the most magnificent army in existence, - sixty-five thousand men in splendid physique, who had just completed a march of nearly two thousand miles in a hostile country...The steadiness and firmness of the tread, the careful dress of the guides, the uniform intervals between the companies, the tattered and bullet-riven flags, - all attracted universal notice. For six hours and a half that strong tread of the Army of the West resounded along Pennsylvania avenue, and when the rear of the column had passed by thousands of the spectators still lingered to express their sense of confidence in the strength of a government which could claim such an army."

After the review the regiment was camped near Bladensburg till the 8th of June, when they were mustered out of the United States service. The next day we started for home, passing through Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York to Albany, where we were paid off.

Thus closed the career of the "Washington County Regiment," which could inscribe upon its flag the names of more than a score of battles and almost innumerable skirmishes, which marched more than three thousand miles, and which bore an honorable part in five of the great campaigns of the war, viz: the campaign of Chancellorsville, the campaign of Gettysburg, the campaign of Atlanta, the March to the Sea, and the campaign of the Carolinas.

The following is a list of officers who ceased to belong to the regiment, from all causes, before the final muster-out:

    Col. A.L. McDougall; wounded at Pumpkin-Vine Creek, May 25, and died at Chattanooga, June 23, 1864.
    Lt.-Col. Franklin Norton; died of wounds received at Chancellorsville, May 2, 1863.
    Adjt. Geo. H. Wallace; promoted to capt. Co. C, and resigned to receive lieutenancy in the regular service.
    Surg. John Moneypenny; resigned March 19, 1863.
    Asst. Surg. Lysander W. Kennedy; promoted to surg. in 119th N.Y.V.I., May 21, 1865.
    Quartermr. John King; resigned Oct. 25, 1862.
    Chaplain Henry Gordon; resigned April 18, 1863.
    Capt. Abram Reynolds, Co. A; resigned July 18,1863.
    Capt. Geo. W. Warren, Co. B; resigned June 10, 1863.
    Capt. John Barron, Co. D; dismissed from the service, Feb. 22, 1863.
    Capt. Norman F. Weer, Co. E; died of wounds received at Gettysburg, July 3, 1863.
    Capt. Jno. S. Crary, Co. H; resigned July 22, 1863.
    Capt. Henry O. Wiley, Co. K; killed at Peach-Tree Creek, Ga., July 20, 1864.
    First Lt. James C. Warren, Co. B; resigned Jan. 28, 1863.
    First Lt. W.G. Warner, Co. C; resigned Feb. 11, 1863.
    First Lt. Benj. Elliott, Co. H; resigned Feb. 4, 1863.
    First Lt. John H. Daley, Co. E; killed at Peach-Tree Creek, July 20, 1864.
    Second Lt. Samuel C. Burton, Co. B; resigned Jan. 7, 1863.
    Second Lt. John C. Corbett, Co. C; killed at Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863.
    Second Lt. Charles Archer, Co. G; resigned Feb. 16, 1863.
    Second Lt. Albert Shiland, Co. I; honorably discharged on account of wounds received at Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863.

The follow is the roster of officers who were mustered out with the regiment in June, 1865:

    Colonel and brevet brigadier-general, James C. Rogers; lieutenant-colonel, A.H. Tanner; major, Henry Gray; adjutant, Seth C. Carey; surgeon, James Chapman; assistant surgeon, R.S. Connelly; quartermaster, A.L. Crawford; chaplain, Myron White.

    Company A. - Captain, A.T. Mason; first lieutenant, Geo. Robinson; second lieutenant, Henry M. Bosworth.

    Company B. - Captain, Jas. C. Shaw; first lieutenant, Wm. W. Brown.

    Company C. - Captain, Hiram O. Warren; first lieutenant, George Robinson; second lieutenant, Luke H. Carrington.

    Company D. - Captain, Alex. Anderson; first lieutenant, E.P. Quinn; second lieutenant, Willis Swift.

    Company E. - Captain, Geo. R. Hall; first lieutenant, H.P. Wait; second lieutenant, Duane M. Hall.

    Company F. - Captain, Duncan Robertson; first lieutenant, Donald Reid; second lieutenant, W.F. Martin.

    Company G. - Captain, James Hill; first lieutenant, Jerome B. Rice; second lieutenant, Wm. G. Warner.

    Company H. - Captain, Josiah W. Culver; first lieutenant, Robt. Cruikshank; second lieutenant, Robt. R. Beattie.

    Company I. - Captain, Orrin S. Hall; first lieutenant, Marcus Beadle; second lieutenant, David Rogers.

    Company K. - Captain, Geo. W. Baker; first lieutenant, Geo. W. Smith; second lieutenant, Judson H. Austin.



Information compiled by Bob Farrell and Staff.

   


© 2017 The 28th Georgia / 123rd New York Volunteer Infantry. All rights reserved.